Will My Motorcycle Lawyer Hire the Right Experts for My Motorcycle Accident?
If you recently experienced a motorcycle accident, you probably suffered severe injuries and are now seeing substantial economic problems due to expensive medical bills and inability to work. If you find yourself in this situation and another driver is to blame for your recent motorcycle accident, talk with our firm. A skilled motorcycle accident attorney can help you hold them accountable with a personal injury claim.
Personal injury law exists to allow those injured by the negligence of others to secure compensation for their losses, including medical expenses, lost income, property damage, and pain and suffering. While you may believe that fault is clear in your case, determining liability for a motorcycle accident can be more difficult than you initially realize, and you may also encounter problems when it comes to proving the full extent of your claimable damages.
How Can an Attorney Help Me?
When you hire a personal injury attorney to help you recover after a motorcycle accident, they will begin working on your case by helping you establish liability for your damages and assessing the full scope of those damages. If another driver caused your motorcycle accident, your attorney would determine which pieces of evidence you must gather to prove their liability for your losses, and you must also gather documentation that proves the full range of your claimable damages.
These requirements are easier to meet in some cases than others. Unfortunately, it is not always a direct path through the civil court system when it comes to pursuing compensation for a personal injury. Even the most experienced personal injury attorneys often need to consult outside experts to weigh in on complex factors in their client’s cases. If you face a difficult motorcycle accident claim, your attorney will likely coordinate expert witness testimony to support your case.
What Are Expert Witnesses?
Expert witnesses commonly play pivotal roles in all types of criminal and civil cases throughout the United States. Depending on the nature of your recent motorcycle accident, it’s possible for one or more expert witnesses to participate in one of two possible capacities:
- Expert witnesses may operate solely as consultants, providing attorneys with a deeper understanding of highly complicated or technical concepts important to a personal injury case.
- Expert witnesses may also testify in court, providing court officials with their professional opinions or expert-level interpretations of facts so court officials can understand the facts of the case more clearly.
It’s possible to have both consulting and testifying expert witnesses involved in a motorcycle accident case. Different types of experts can weigh in to help support your case in different ways:
- If you are claiming compensation for severe injuries that resulted in disability, an expert witness from the medical field may testify on your behalf to interpret your condition in a way the court will understand. This can help you secure compensation for lost future earning potential if your condition leaves you unable to work in the future.
- Medical experts may also testify to support a claim of pain and suffering. Typically, the court will award pain and suffering compensation based on the severity of a plaintiff’s injuries and whether they caused long-term damage. However, it can be difficult for court officials to ascertain the level of pain a plaintiff experienced without input from a medical expert with relevant practical knowledge of the subject.
- Economic experts can also support a claim of lost future earning potential. For example, a financial expert can provide the court with an analysis of how much future income you likely lost due to your accident by calculating prior earnings, expected pay increases over time, and the amount of time you were likely to continue working had your accident not occurred.
- Experts in the field of mechanical engineering or automotive engineering can come into play if a defendant claims that a vehicle malfunction caused the accident in question. These experts may also testify as to the mechanical forces in play in an accident, so the court has a clearer understanding of how an accident actually unfolded.
Ultimately, expert witnesses across multiple disciplines may play crucial roles in any motorcycle accident case. If you intend to take legal action against a negligent driver, ask your attorney whether they believe expert witness testimony will be necessary for maximizing your compensation.
Find Your Legal Team Today
At the Law Offices of Susan Handel, we understand how devastating and complex motorcycle accident claims can be and do everything we can to maximize our client’s recovery in every case we represent. If you need to file a personal injury claim against a negligent driver after a motorcycle accident, our team will coordinate with relevant expert witnesses to create the strongest possible case. Contact us today for more information about the legal services our firm can provide following a motorcycle accident in California.